From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:58:01 -0500
>Date:         Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:51:05 -0500
>Sender:       The College Hockey Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
>From:         Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: hooey  ... (and other things)
>To:           [log in to unmask]
>
>>College hockey seems to be a financial wash for
>>most schools. The NCAA and league tourneys likely
>>keep some of the programs afloat. So, all this
>>indicates that college hockey can't really afford
>>to take a huge chance and start all this national
>>interleague scheduling...incurring heavy, heavy
>>travel expenses for programs who are just keeping
>>afloat. I think there is a strong need to keep
>>college hockey a much more feasible endeavor so
>>some of the Division 1 hopeful programs won't be
>>discouraged. With that said ... on to the recent
>>discussions of determining prominence amongst the
>>leagues as well as the issue of three-game home
>>ice series.
>>
>I'll just point outh that 5 of the 11 Big Ten schools play D1 hockey, along
>with Notre Dame, which obviously has no money problems.  As far as I can
>see, none of these teams ever come East during the season, despite the fact
>that they have oodles of dough.  In contrast, Eastern state schools with
>limited resources (UNH, UVM) and D1 schools which are primarily D3
>(Clarkson, St. Lawrence, RPI), never seem to have a problem flying out
>west.  I have always had the impression that the western leagues,
>particularly the WCHA, are very insular.  Why else would people refer to a
>regular season D1 league championship (the McNaughton Cup) as the second
>most important hockey trophy in North America (they concede to Lord
>Stanley)?
>
>>In a separate issue, its doesn't seem that
>>HockeyEast really has to implement the three game
>>home ice series. Some logistics would have to be
>>worked out when Maine is involved, but the other
>>series could all play home-away-home. Maybe Maine
>>would have to play home(thur)-home(fri)-away(sun)
>>or away(thur)-home(sat)-home(sun). Obviously, none
>>of the other leagues could likely swing this but
>>HockeyEast certainly could. Why not give the away
>>team at least one home game? Now, with attendance
>>the way it always is at quarterfinals, this might
>>stir up some extra interest. It doesn't seemm that
>>the home team fans want to see a game three nights
>>in a row ... which is a lot to ask for most fans
>>(not me! :) I am in favor of the three-game home
>>ice series for one reason, it does significantly
>>reward the top four teams ... but its also rewards
>>them all equally which doesn't suit me. For Lowell
>>to have to play three at Northeastern when the two
>>teams weren't that disparate doesn;t suit well
>>with me either. I'd love to see less teams make
>>the playoffs ... maybe allow #1 and #2 to get
>>quarterfinal byes...3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 in
>>home and away series. This would also remove the
>>possible quandry that BC now finds themselves in
> [...]

        When I was attending Minnesota, Michigan and Michigan State were in
the WCHA. Michigan's athletic director at the time, Don Canham, said that
the Wolverines wanted to switch leagues to the CCHA because of travel
costs, he said that Michigan could not afford to travel to both Denver and
Colorado College every year. At the time, Michigan's football team was
drawing the same 100,000 to every home game that they do now. It makes you
wonder.

Dave Geringer
Sports Information Director
Alfred State College