Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 21:00:53 -0700
>> what are the hockey equivelents of Michigan/Ohio State,
>> Nebraska/Oklahoma, Army/Navy type rivalries in football?

>Currently, Clarkson-SLU, Cornell-Harvard, and BU-BC are the strongest in the
>east for combining tradition and excitement.  From the west, I dunno nuthin'

I'm not sure about this season, but it's been a few years before the BU-BC
games have taken on the same feel as they did in the 80's (and very early
90s), at least from the perspective of the BU campus. Used to be every game
at Walter Brown, you would hear at least 2 or 3 "BC Sucks" chants --
regardless of who was playing. Often this included basketball games, too.

Mostly it died off around 91 or 92 when BC's program just wasn't as
competitive with BU as it had used to be, and Maine had quickly become the
"big enemy" for BU fans (likewise for Alfonders). Nowadays it seems that
UNH has slipped into that spot.

Thank god that BC has a hot program again. Oughtta be interesting to see
how long it takes before games between the two get ugly... I mean REAL ugly.

Either way... these kids today, they're just not as rowdy in Walter Brown
as they used to be. The cheers for the goals and big hits are still there,
but I don't remember the last time I heard a "safety school" or "co-op!"
chant (Northeastern), "nerds! nerds! nerds" (Harvard), "cowwwwww tippers!"
(UNH), or the unprovoked, no-reason-other-than-they-suck chant against BC.

I think for the teams in the greater boston area, especially with the
Beanpot every year, everyone just hates everyone. A good game is a good
game, especially if the team across the ice is a highly regarded foe. Last
season I was on a business trip in Boston and went to home-and-home series
between Northeastern and BU. The rowdier crowd was definitely seen at the
game at Northeastern, as the home crowd there made a much bigger deal about
facing BU than the Terrier fans did the previous night at Walter Brown.

I'm overjoyed with the overall success of Hockey East squads this year, and
greatly look forward to the day when the Beanpot is once again *truly* up
for grabs (as it was in the late 80s), not BU's to lose. Nevertheless, I
still travel to the beantown every year for the simple reason that the
Beanpot is unique, EVERYBODY plays great hockey, and anybody can win. Even
I'm a little tired of BU winning just about every year (through the 90s,
anwyay). <g>

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)

Since BU dropped football, does that mean Silber fumbled?
Real grass at Nickerson for the *real* football! Yippee!