Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 06:47:25 -0600
Several people have posted recently that North Dakota will be remembered
as the best team because they won the national title.  I suspect that
they are correct, but I will still disagree.  As I've said before, I
dislike the exclusionary interest sports fans put on the playoffs; I
miss the days in the NHL when the President's Cup actually meant
something.  Translated into the 'real' world, I'll always respect more
highly the person who will come in and give a good effort every day.
Regular season success is more emblamatic of the traits I admire.  So,
I'm not willing to always concede that the winner of the final title is
the best team in the league in question.  Let's face it, the 1969
Baltimore Orioles WERE a better team than the Mets.  Even if no one
remembers it that way.

J. Michael Neal