From:
Dave Wollstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:55:52 -0500
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: An honest, hockey-based question
Date:    97-04-02 08:17:48 EST
From:    DWollstadt
To:      [log in to unmask]

For the most part, I think BU won it. I'm no fan of BU or Jack Parker, but I
was sincerely impressed by (a) BU's hard-nosed,
beat-'em-to-the-puck-all-the-time style of play against Michigan, and (b)
Parker's ability to "reinvent" his team--switching from an offensive to a
defensive orientation--for that one game.

Where Michigan may have "lost" the game is in Berenson's failure to make the
necessary adjustments to counter BU game plan, which shut down Michigan's
offense for most of the game. The game reminded me of Maine's championship
game in 1993 against Lake Superior State, which kept Maine bottled up in its
own zone during the second period and went ahead 4-2. At the start of the
third period, Maine coach Shawn Walsh pulled goalie Mike Dunham and
substituted Garth Snow, whose puck-handling skills opened up the play and
turned the game around. I kept waiting for Berenson to make some similar
adjustment that would get his team back in the game, but it didn't happen.
That's why I asked in an earlier posting what Hockey-L'ers would have done if
they were in Berenson's shoes.