From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 06:52:48 -0600
Like Pam, I'll only respond to on list to the points which Pam raised there.

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Pam Sweeney wrote:

> >>On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Pam Sweeney wrote:
> >
> >> I think there are a couple other factors to consider:
> >>    1)  At the risk of being maligned as a Canadian-basher, let me point out
> >> that this is the "US Hockey Hall of Fame Game".  If you were to set up a
> >> college hockey game celebrating US hockey, I suspect Minnesota and BU would
> >> be the first two teams you would pick, since both teams consist primarily
> >> of US-born players.  (Yes, there are others, including St. Cloud, but these
> >> are arguably the two most prominent...)
> >>
> >Actually, it sounds like uninformed Canadian bashing to me.  Although BU
> >may have a majority of American players I don't think there is any
> >principle involved there as there is at Minnesota and has been at BC
> >until they couldn't find an American goaltender (I presume).
>
> My comments above are in light of the fact that it is a game to benefit the
> *US* Hockey Hall of Fame.  The best way to promote that Hall is by
> showcasing *US* players.  I don't mean to have any quotas "only teams with
> 50% US-born players can play in this game" or any of that crap.  I just
> mean that if you were a US Hockey Hall of Fame official and were able to
> put together your DREAM college game, it would probably be these two teams.
> Two established programs that have developed a lot of top American
> players.  (Note added in posting this to the list:  If people don't agree
> with that logic, I would be very interested to hear which two teams others
> would pick, and why.)

That may be Pam's dream (and that's OK) but it is not mine.  I couldn't
care less what the nationality is of the players on teams.  I think the
best showcase game is between two teams in different conferences who have
histories of excellence.  Although Minnesota and BU certainly qualify,
many other teams just as easily could--regardless of the percentage of US
players on the squad.  Pam implies she is using logic.  I just see a
preference.  The premise has no logical basis (except perhaps for people
from BC or Minnesota who seem to think where one is born is a crucial
requirement for participation on a team.

> I will grant you that there's a certain amount of chauvinism in that, but
> that's inherent in having a US Hockey Hall of Fame in the first place.

Having a US Hockey Hall of Fame reflects an appropriate pride in the
acheivements of US hockey players.  Using the criterion of percentage of
players on squads IMO does represent chauvinism.

> Let's face it, there's no "US Football Hall of Fame", just a "Football Hall
> of Fame",  and I believe there is a "Canadian Football Hall of Fame".  If
> you were to put together a game to promote Canadian football, would you
> prefer two teams where all the stars were US imports?  Or would you prefer
> two teams who had Canadian players among their stars?  (I don't know much
> about the success of Canadian players in the CFL, so maybe I'm stretching
> my analogy a bit.)  If *I'm* setting up the promotion for the Canadian
> Football Hall of Fame, all other things being equal, I'm picking the teams
> with the Canadian stars.

You are displaying ignorance of Canadian sports here.  Most of the stars
on CFL teams are US born and the percentage of Canadians on the teams is
maintained by a quota system or the percentage of US players would be
even higher.

I must add I find this thread (past and present) distasteful.  I wish
there was a way to drive a stake through its heart.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! GO ICE!!!