From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:17:41 -0600
On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Josh Kleinbaum wrote:

> While this isn't college hockey, this principal of catering to the whims of
> special interest groups is seen throught all of sports.  The Redmen had a
> lot of tradition, and, if I were an alumn, I'd be outraged.  I really don't
> understand why people are insulted by team names referring to a group of
> people.  Quite frankly, I'd be honored in Miami changed their name to the
> Miami Kleinbaums (although for some reason I don't see that as happening),
> or even the Miami Jews (if there are any Jews in Ohio ;-) ).  It's all a
> matter of perspective.  Instead of seeing the name as insulting, the Miami
> tribe should see it as an honor.

I'm getting a bit annoyed with people calling natives protesting college
team's names "special interest groups".  It is the Miami tribe IMO which
has the right to point out whether they feel the name for the college
team is appropriate.  I don't think *anyone's* opinion should carry more
weight than their's.

We all have "special interests".  This term, however, has been coopted
(usually) by right wing people seeking to avoid serious discussions of
issues (but pursuing this one really should go on another list).  What is
appropriate here is whether cultural sensitivity is or should be a factor
in naming sports teams.  The locus of this sensitivity should be the
people from the culture(s) in question.

I'm sorry for the St. John's people because "Red Storm" really is lame :-)

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! GO ICE!!!

p.s--despite my affiliation (emotionally) with the Ice I really dislike
any sports name which does not have the ability to be made plural.
Another example is the Heat.