From:
Tim Brule <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Brule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 1995 23:23:18 -0500
On Thu, 10 Aug 1995, Ryan R Bowman wrote:

> Duluth East Senior Dave Spehar has committed verbally to play for
> the University of Minnesota.  This was shown on KMSP-TV Channel 9
> Minneapolis.
>

> RYan Bowman
> University of Minnesota

YES!!!! Go Gophers!

For those on the list that do not remember all the hype about this kid
during the Minnesota High School Tournament last year let me remind you.

Dave Spehar led the state of Minnesota in scoring last year as a Junior.
His line mate, Blane(sp?) Locher also a junior, was second in the state. The
exact numbers slip my mind now, but he scored around 50 goals and had about
30 assists in about 30 games (somebody help me here?).

Besides these impressive #'s, Dave also is a big game player. He had
hat tricks in the quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals last year
leading Duluth East to state championship. The last hat-trick was capped
off by a goal on a penalty shot to win the state championship with about
3 minutes left in the game(time ?). WOW!?! It still shocks me to thinking
about it.

The best quote I remember from the Minnesota High School Hockey Tournament
about Spehar was by the voice of the Gophers, Al Shaver, in astonishment
"How many Goals is he going to score next year?!?"

Some drawbacks are size and defense. He often times breaks out of the
defensive zone early receiving an outlet pass from Locher and skates in
on the opposing goalie. Usually this is followed by the red light going on.
The big question is whether this aggressive style will be successfull in
Div I Hockey. Will he need to play more defense?

But, I am sure glad he will be answering this question as a Gopher!

Tim Brule
http://www.math.umn.edu/~brule (Visit and you will be pleased!?)

Go Gophers!