From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 07:14:40 -0900
Greg R. Berge wrote:

>  I hope such a contest will be included in the ECAC-HE All Star game (at
> UNH, I believe?) this Spring.  I'd also *love* to see such a competition at
> the Cornell Red-White game; it would be a lot of fun and also help
> introduce the players to the crowd (the whole point of the exercise), and I
> imagine that other teams' "midnight madness" could be spiced up in the same
> way.  It's gotta be at least as good as "Swan Lake" :-)

I agree about the skills competition.  The Nanooks had several between
periods in their preseason Blue-Gold scrimmage game and it looked like
fun for the players and it definitely was for the fans.

There were several things about it that I really liked.  It gives you a
preview of the skills of the incoming players--speed, puckhandling,
agility, shooting--and sometimes it may spotlight something about a
returning player you never noticed before.  For example, for us I
wouldn't have guessed defenseman Eon MacFarlane would win either fastest
skater or most accurate shooting competition.  Made me realize the team
needed to work him more into the offense which they've slowly tried to
do as we've struggled through the season.

Eric