From:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:37:11 CST
>   So far, so good; that much I knew from last year.  But then we see:
>
> > Each comparison won by a team is worth one point.
>
>   Isn't this a change from last year ??  It was my understanding that
> head-to-read records could be worth in excess of one point if one TUC was
> particularly successful vs. another.  For example BU is currently 2-0-0
> vs. UNH, and it was my understanding that BU would get *2* points for this
> in the HtH comparison.  If BU were to sweep the season series (3-0-0),
> then they would receive *3* PWR points; conversely, if UNH manages to win
> at Walter Brown on the last day of the season (I can dream, can't I :-)
> then BU's record of 2-1-0 would be worth only *1* point in the BU-UNH
> comparison.  I recall some comments along these lines from Mike M. in
> years past, but don't have the time/knowledge to search the archives
> effectively.  Can someone shed some light on this ??
>
>   Scratching his head in Solomons - Jim

Within each comparison, you're right.  But if BU wins its comparison
against UNH by 22-0, they get only one PWR point.  The ranking is
based on the number of PWR points, not the margin by which the individual
comparisons are won.

- Ken Pavelle, Cornell '92, Carnegie Mellon '99

P.S. - I *really* hope Ferris State doesn't plan on continuing their streak...