From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:55:48 EST
Cathy wrote:

> My sister lives in Irvine and more than half of the people out in that
> part of California are transplanted Midwesterners.  Could be better
> attended than you think

Just reminds me of the probably apocraphal story of the LA Kings, when they
had such poor attendence early on despite LA having "the most transplanted
Canadians of any city in the world."

The story is that when the Kings surveyed the population to see why
these transplants weren't missing hockey, they kept hearing "did it ever
occur to you guys WHY WE LEFT CANADA?!?"   :-)

Like I said, probably apocraphal, but when I teach people sampling theory
I use it as an example of statistically non-representative sampling.  :-)

Greg R. Berge

as of August 23:

0514 Hughes Hall
Cornell University