From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 10:28:06 -0500
On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Christopher L. Schierer wrote:
> Have the top four teams in a conference ever failed to make the semifinals
> at the same time?  (in other words have there ever been 4 upsets in the
> quarters?)  If not, what is the highest number of upsets?

  I don't have my UNH Media guide here at work, but I know there was a
Black Tuesday in the ECAC Play-offs in (I think - someone with access to
a record book will have to confirm this) 1980, when the 2, 3 and 4 Top
seeds all lost at home in the one-game quarterfinal; UNH seeded 8th, lost
only 2-3 (on a late goal) at #1 Clarkson to prevent a complete sweep of
the Top seeds prior to the Semis/Final at the (RIP) Gahden.  The WCHA
web page noted that this year's upsets of the home teams in three 1/4-
final series was the first time so many upsets had occurred in the same
year, so that's further evidence of the value of home ice come playoff
time ....

  Cheers from Maryland - Jim