From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 11:12:42 -0400
Hi -

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Larry Winer wrote:
> For those who would bash Coach Walsh - let those who have not sinned cast
> the first stone.

  My views on this matter are well known, and I'm reluctant to revisit this
argument yet again, but I can't let this pass ....  The issue is NOT whether
*other* programs have sinned - if they have, my response would be the same,
even had they occurred at my own alma mater (UNH).  No, the fundamental
issue is the manner in which the Maine/Walsh violations have been handled
by the Maine Administration, and judging by the tone of your message, I
can see that you'd make a fine UMaine Administrator yourself one day ....

> I detect a hint of hypocrisy in those who would chastise Maine for having
> the courage to stay with someone who did Coach the Bears to their only
> NCAA title in any sport.

  This is the most ludicrous definition of the word "courage" I have ever
encountered .... You question a system that rewards wins (presumably at
any cost), yet defend the Maine administration for "courageously" standing
by their man who cheated, deceived, and then impeded a full investigation
of the questionable means by which that NC$$ title was achieved.  Just who
is a hypocrit now ??

> It is the system that needs repair, not Coach Walsh.

  There's no hope for you or Maine hockey if you actually believe this ....
A delusion this big goes a long way, however; after all, it served the
Maine Administration well in deciding to welcome Walsh back with open arms,
not to mention all the fans at Alfond that serenaded his return with a
prolonged standing ovation ....

> It is all about wins and losses.

  No, it's all about wins/losses earned on the field of play by coaches
and teams that play within the rules.  Why is that simple concept so hard
to grasp for certain Maine fans ??

  Stepping down off his soapbox yet again - Jim