From:
Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 21:05:22 -0400

<< My views on this matter are well known, and I'm reluctant to revisit this
 argument yet again, but I can't let this pass ....  The issue is NOT whether
 *other* programs have sinned - if they have, my response would be the same,
 even had they occurred at my own alma mater (UNH).  No, the fundamental
 issue is the manner in which the Maine/Walsh violations have been handled
 by the Maine Administration, and judging by the tone of your message, I
 can see that you'd make a fine UMaine Administrator yourself one day ....

Response- a personal attack- no facts attack the person. I have nothing to do
with UMaine.

   This is the most ludicrous definition of the word "courage" I have ever
 encountered .... You question a system that rewards wins (presumably at
 any cost), yet defend the Maine administration for "courageously" standing
 by their man who cheated, deceived, and then impeded a full investigation
 of the questionable means by which that NC$$ title was achieved.  Just who
 is a hypocrit now ??

Response- You have the nerve to write NC$$ instead of NCAA.  Who is the
hypocrite now?

   There's no hope for you or Maine hockey if you actually believe this ....
 A delusion this big goes a long way, however; after all, it served the
 Maine Administration well in deciding to welcome Walsh back with open arms,
 not to mention all the fans at Alfond that serenaded his return with a
 prolonged standing ovation ....

    No, it's all about wins/losses earned on the field of play by coaches
 and teams that play within the rules.  Why is that simple concept so hard
 to grasp for certain Maine fans ??

Stop knocking Maine? Is Harvard cheating when they admit a hockey player with
1000 SATs?

   Stepping down off his soapbox yet again - Jim

Get off the personal attacks and analyze what you say in a cogent and mature
manner not like someone running for the office of chief Maine basher.