From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 03:12:54 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Thanks to Mike for jumping in about the rule difference, but I still
contend that in 20 years of watching NHL hockey, despite what the book
says, the officials must liberally interpret that rule, because
handpasses are regularly called when the intent isn't clear.

Anyway, I don't need the rulebook to answer some of Eric's questions,
but I'm sure he appreciate someone with a rulebook to make it official.

> 1) So, is a puck caught and dropped in the offensive zone
> by an offensive player always an illegal hand pass if the
> offense plays it first or only if a teammate plays it?

It's a handpass only if it goes from the player who hit it with the
hand DIRECTLY to a teammate. In other words, a teammate has to hit it
before anyone else.

> 2)  Does rule 6-17a only apply to hand passes when the
> puck is in the crease?

No.

> 5)  Where was McNeill when he made the hand pass?  In or
> out of the crease?

I doesn't matter, but, from memory, he was flying through the crease to
the right of Thomas.  The crease extends outside the goal posts, so
this is possible.

> 6)  Are they talking about both the attacking and
> defending teams in that rule?

Defending teams can make handpasses in their own zone.

> 7)  Supposing McNeill bats the puck out of the air and the
> Vermont goalie gives it "a sideward or backward bat" as
> mentioned in the rules, is Colorado College allowed or not
> allowed to control the puck at that point?

ALLOWED.

> 10)  If McNeill had knocked it down with his hand and then
> hit it into the goal himself with his stick, then what
> would the call have been?

GOAL.  You can knock the puck down with your hand and control it
yourself, just like NHL or anywhere else, as long as you don't close
your hand on the puck.

> 11)  Also does the NCAA have the same differentiation
> between hand passes in the offensive and defensive zones
> as the NHL?

More or less the same, I believe.

AW