From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 21:11:34 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> I don't have or know the NCAA rules regarding hand passes,
> but my reading of the NHL rule for hand passes in the same
> situation as the overtime goal in the semifinal game
> between Colorado College and Vermont is that it would be a
> goal and counted.
>
> The referee has to decide that the Colorado College player
> "deliberately directed" the puck to his teammate in order
> to stop play.  It would not have been a goal if the puck
> had been batted directly into the net or if the puck had
> been batted and deflected into the net off of the goalie
> or any other player.  The rule is very clear about that.

I trust that is what the rule says, but I am certain that it's not like
that in practice.  Forgetting, for a minute, what the NCAA guidelines
are on that -- but even in NHL games, I regularly see officials blow
the whistle when the puck is batted or pushed down with a hand. It can
go through 6 pairs of skates, then to a teammate and it's still
whistled, whether it was intended to be a pass or not.

McNeill clearly motioned with his hand to knock it out of the air, and
his intention also seems clear. But regardless, the refs always call
that.  So, you can defend the call in other ways, but I don't believe
you can defend it by saying the pass wasn't deliberate.

I hope no one thinks I'm bashing the refs here, because it's a tough
call, I'm just saying it's a shame.

AW