From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 20:32:49 -0500
        My complaint with PASS play-by-play man Larry Oosterman (sp?) is
that he fails to realize that his medium is television.  He talks way too
much.  It sounds as though he is doing a radio call, announcing that the
players are skating from left to right, that shots are going behind the net,
etc.  He needs to remember that a picture speaks a thousand words, and that
the primary role of a TV play-by-play person is to call out the players
names.  Too much detail is a distraction, thus making PASS broadcasts almost
unbearable to sit through.

        As for NESN's Bob Norton, John Haeussler is right in calling him the
John Madden of college hockey.  It's not just because they're both funny and
of a common girth :).  Like Madden, he knows the game and the players as
well as anyone.  Likewise, the players know him, referring to him as "Mr.
Norton."  For my money, he's the best color man in the business, and makes
NESN's broadcasts very enjoyable.

        Now can someone tell me how I can find an outlet broadcasting this
weekend's games so that I can listen to these guys?

Edward N. Moller
Go BU
Jerry lives