From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 18:32:53 -0800
As a Boston University sophomore in 1978 (a lifetime ago), I need to set
some facts straight.  See also Sean Pickett's previous post.

Bill Fenwick wrote:

>The only top seed to advance was BU, and they had to go into overtime to get by
>New Hampshire, 6-5.  Providence won 8-5, Brown won 6-2, and BC beat RPI 7-6 in
>OT.  Providence then defeated BU (for the second time that season -- those were
>BU's only two losses all year, and the Terriers would go on to take the NC$$
>championship), and BC got by Brown to set up an ECAC championship game between
>teams that did not have home ice for the quarterfinals -- one of the two times
>that's happened in the ECAC.  (the other was last year, when RPI and Princeton
>turned the trick)  BC won the title game.

Actually, BU's first loss that year was to Yale at New Haven.

Jim Love wrote:
>Never mind that PC had already beaten BU twice that
>year; BU was perceived as the "best" East representative, and the rules
>were bent to allow BU yet another chance to advance.  Give them their due;
>they certainly made the most of their "gift" opportunity, running the
>table in their next three games and claiming the NC$$ Championship.

BU did receive a boost, but the team was under a very dark cloud at the
time.  Coach Jack Parker was not at the semi's, as he was tending to a grave
family matter.  Billy Cleary, who at the time was the Harvard coach and a
tournament committee member, deserves much credit for recognizing the
Terriers' circumstances.  It hardly qualified as a "gift."

Luiz Valente wrote:
>Incidentally, the 1978 BU team (whose captain was Brian Durocher, currently
>an Assistant Coach at Brown) included several members of the 1980 USA
>gold medal team: Jim Craig, Dave Silk and Jack O'Callahan come to mind,
>but there may have been others.

Mike Eruzione graduated in 1979.  Those four BU players were the only
eastern representatives of the 1980 USA team.  Ralph Cox of UNH and Jack
Hughes of Harvard were the last two players cut from the team.

Denver would have been the #1 west seed that year, but they were on
probation.  The two western representatives were Wisconsin and Bowling
Green.  BTW, how often has an NC$$ championship game involved two teams from
the same street?
Edward N. Moller
Go BU
Jerry lives