From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:02:12 -0009
At 03:58 PM 3/19/96 -0500, Kevin B. Powers wrote:

>How do the Western schools (Denver, CC, UAA, UAF) handle this lengthy
>travel problem during the regular season?

Excuse the rather obvious answer but the players from Alaska take their
books on the road.  The UAF team even sponsors group study and help sessions
while on the road, particularly for those long trips lasting up to two
weeks.  (To save $, the AK schools have been staying Outside if they have
back-to-back weekend series, rather than fly down and back twice.)  Of
course, it's all a matter of commitment.  From personal experience, I know
that professors cut the players some slack on attendance but not on
homework.  If anything, the guys (and gals, though not for hockey) I knew
made the most of their in-class time as they knew it was at a premium.

As for the playoffs, I can't wait for the AK squads to have to worry about
the travel time during March!  And, contrary to Mr. Machnik's assertion, I'm
sure a lot of us Alaskans would make the trip South for the big show, no
matter where it was held.  Fairbanks averages attendance better than 3000
with a metro area population of just 60000 (that's 5%, for you stats types).
I don't know how to quantify fan support but if that ain't it, I don't know
what is.  Besides, we're not afraid of a little airplane ride now and again.
Check out the AK jerseys in Anaheim  a couple of years from now.  And while
I can't speak for Ferris and UIC, I suspect their fans would support them in
the tourney as well.

Spare change, anyone...?

Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.
UAF '90