Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 16:10:42 EST
On the Fox 51 News at 10 Thursday night, Greg Cronin said that the
poor turnout (under 2500 I think) was a digrace for a premiere
national team.  I'm sure he feels the same after Friday night's
disappointing turnout, but he needs to look at a few things:

1) The second-worst storm of the year was raging outside Thursday
and Friday.  The same thing happened in 1993 during the UM-NU
quarter-final.  We played despite the storm, almost before an
empty arena.  And that was in the days when we were on the way to
a national title.

2) Maine is not a premiere national team this season.  They have
dropped out of the polls, and will be sitting out the NC$$
tournament.

3) He'd better get used to seeing empty seats because with all
the turmoil in the hockey program (and the NC$$ verdict is still
looming) people might become a) disinterested or b) stop supporting
"just another dirty team."  However you feel about the issue, the
fact remains that rules were broken and the UM's image has
been greatly damaged.

John Forsyth
"Pat Buchanan has no money and is against the Jews, there's
a connection there"  Bill Maher, host of Politically Incorrect.