From:
Lee Urton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Urton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:26:56 -0500
Adam Wodon wrote:

> I'm not sure if he's there, but I don't think he is.  I think he's just
> listed as an alternate or something.  That's because I read an AP story
> saying that the only goalie right now for the US is Parris Duffus (out
> of Cornell).  And it said the coach was upset Guy Hebert didn't want to
> play, and he was looking for another goalie.

Well, I was just checking out the rosters, statistics, etc., from the
games, and Tim Thomas has been backup goalkeeper for three games
(he seems to be alternating this duty with LSSU's John Grahame, who was
the alternate for the USA victory over Slovakia 4-3)). Duffus
does seem to be the main goalie, and has played all goalie minutes.

> BTW, the story said Duffus played great in a 3-1 loss to Russia, and it
> made a point of saying that the US' best player that day was one that
> never even played in the NHL. Duffus is quoted as saying he hopes this
> can get him into the NHL soon.

I understand he did play well, although Minnesota's Brian Bonin got the
vote for best US player in that game. I am not sure why, since he is not
seen on the box score, with 0 points, 0 assists, and 0 penalty minutes
(for that game). I guess he has a lot of hustle.

While it is exciting that Bonin has scored a goal and is looking good,
sophomore defenseman Mike Crowley (who is returning to Minnesota next
year) was moved up from third line defense in the first game to second line
defense in the three games since. Crowley has no points, but is +4  with
3 penalties for 6 minutes in 4 games.

For those with web access, I recommend checking out the web site at:
http://www.sportsnet.co.at/Icehockey/

                                -Lee-nerd

"It is not written in the stars that I will always understand what is
going on - a truism that I often find damnably annoying."
                                -Robert Heinlein