From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 13:09:57 -0600
On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Jim Evans wrote:
> Week after week on MSC we hear Frank Mazoccco, Tom Reid and Doug Woog ask
> the question, "Who is better than Bonin?", "Who is better than Bonin?"  I
> don't know what games these guys have been watching, but I have the answer
> to this: Mike Crowley. This is an absolutely unbelievable player.  Having

The on ice statistics/performance is not the only criteria. There is a very
good write-up in the Hockey-L archives on the Hobey Baker Award.

I jotted down a few things from the criteria list:
      - strength of character, on and off the ice.
      - contributes to the integrity of the team.
      - displays outstanding skills in all phases of the game.
      - consideration to scholastic achievement and sportsmanship.

So you see, there is more to it, and some of the criteria is protected
information, such as the "scholastic achievement", which the general
public is not entitled to know specifics about.

The University is promoting Brian Bonin for the Hobey Baker, as it is
believed he has the best chance to win it over all the other Gopher
players, no matter what others might think.

Mike Crowley is an awesome player and will probably make the final list
of nominees, but Bonin is a much more well-rounded candidate from what
I have seen. Dan Trebil of the Gophers is also mentioned as a possible
candidate for the Hobey.

> sophmore from UMD by the name of Hull, I think his first name was Ben, who
> had a phenominal sophmore season before leaving for the pros, without the
> Hobey.

That would be Brett Hull.

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!!      GO Hobey Bonin!!!