From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 1995 10:39:11 CDT
I caught part of a telecast by Midwest Sports Channel (MSC) of their awards
show. I think this is a new award, but I might be wrong...I haven't heard of
it before.

Awards were given in Divisions 1, 2, and 3 for female and male athlete of the
year and coach of the year. There was also a special lifetime achievement award
 given to Gopher Track and Field/Cross Country coach Roy Griak, who retired
this year.

The Division 1 male athlete of the year was Minnesota Gopher hockey player
Brian Bonin! The other athlete who was nominated was a senior Gopher football
player...sorry I can't remember his name.

There were also two "special" courage awards given to the two Gopher athletes
who had serious injuries this past season. One was a track and field male
athlete who was injured in a pole vaulting accident, and the other was Gopher
hockey player Jason Godbout. Both were present and gave a short speech while
accepting the awards.

Jason Godbout, said that he was extremely grateful for all the prayers and
cards and get well messages that he received. He seemed truly touched by the
show of support for his recovery. He also said that he expects to make a full
recovery and play for the Gophers again.

I am sure that all the messages that the Hockey-L'ers sent to Jason were very
much appreciated and included in this thank you.

Only 110 days till the season starts!!!

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!
Hoooray for the New Jersey Devils 1995 Stanley Cup Champions!!!!

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!