From:
Andy Dursin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 20:06:17 -0500
---It *DEFINITELY* makes a difference when one team has to play 2 nights in a
row while the other comes in fresh for the second round. Denver and LSSU might
have actually beaten BU and Maine with a day off inbetween the games; as is,
their legs were gone by the mid-point of the Saturday night games, and the
Terriers and Black Bears cruised to wins.

---Has anyone noticed that the Centrum is one of the most poorly designed
structures in relation to hockey? The seats in the center are flat for rows back
(people need to stretch their necks out in order to see the puck!) while the
balconys in the center are miles away from the action (not hanging over the
center sections like most arenas). The best seats are right behind the
goaltenders, about 10 rows up (or in the first row of the balcony)...that's
where I was, or at least until some drunk college students drove me away on
Saturday night!

---UNH's performance was a big disappointment. All of this "strength of
schedule" and "regular season dominance" talk was moot for this team; it was
obvious they didn't want to be on the ice right from the warm-ups. The NC$$
should rethink this policy about giving teams who finished LOWER than 2nd place
in the regular season a bid to the Big Dance based on their record during the
year. Despite their sub-.500 records, Princeton and Providence were hot at the
end of their respective seasons and would have *played* against Denver. At the
very least, they would have given the Pioneers a run for their money, even if
they didn't win. (Incidentally, since UNH beat PC only once in 4 times, and lost
to the Friars in the HE tournament, doesn't that mean that PC should have gotten
in over UNH?). Regardless, UNH was lethargic and pathetic on Friday afternoon
(only Flinton seemed to playing at 100%) and it was disappointing to see. Man,
how Bowling Green must feel right now about being denied an NC$$ bid!

---The NC$$ should scrap the hour-length delay between games. I know this is for
TV purposes, but it's a real time-killer for the fans, particularly since only 1
game from each region on Friday and Saturday nights was being televised
*nationally*. Did many markets--outside of some local independent
channels--actually pick up the syndicated NC$$ Productions telecasts that
*weren't* televised by ESPN2?

At any rate, it should be a lot of fun in Providence this week. The way I see
it, anyone can win this tournament, and that's why it should be such a
blast...best of luck to all, and have a safe trip into the Ocean State!

Andy Dursin
Boston College '97