From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 18:26:34 -0500
John Forsyth writes:
>Actually, UMaine won the HE regular season championship based on head-
>to-head play (1-0-2) in conference, and as champion has earned an
>automatic berth in the NC$$'s.

I spoke this morning with HE's Tim Burton, and he informed me that
Maine and BU are considered co-champions of the regular season by the
league.  Both will receive trophies for winning the regular season
championship.  Tim said that league by-laws provided for points (only,
I believe) to decide the regular season championship.  And that was a
tie.

The tiebreaker - head-to-head record - only came into play to settle
the issue of seeding.  It did not decide the regular season finish.
Again, that is straight from Hockey East.

I don't know how this would be handled by the NC$$, by the way -
before anyone asks.  We know that the NC$$ has said it would take the
regular season champion (once again, this is not an automatic bid...
each conference has one automatic bid, and that goes to the tourney
winner) if that team is not the same as the tourney winner.  Both
teams are rated highly enough that this will not be a concern.  Now,
if the "Clarkson rule" re-emerges...your guess is as good as mine.
I'm not going to worry about it unless that happens.