Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 19:27:26 GMT
The recent discourse on RPI expectations did not touch on one reason for the
inflated expectations of fans in one-team towns.  I would primarily fault the
local media in most cases, simply because of bad writing.  I have been trying
very hard for a long time to find even one newspaper article that tells me
something substative about a hockey game.  Sports writers seem only to grasp
the significance of standings, whether a player is black in a mostly white
sport, etc.  You all probably recall the silly human interest stories during
the winter olympics that took up so much time when we wanted to watch the
athletes do their stuff.  If anyone out there has an example of good writing
to share with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ken Connor
EE Prof. at Rensselaer
Wisconsin '68