From:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 10:53:06 EST
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Just a nit-picky point, but I believe one that might make the casual
> college hockey fan (or the frustrated NHL fan looking for any type of
> hockey) a bit confused and perplexed (turned off?) is the way the AP
> apparently releases scores (or is it HE, Mike M?). ...
>   Boston U. 5, Maine 5, tie (Boston wins 2-1 in a shootout)
> Shouldn't the word "tie" be left out of this type of listing.

No, the word "tie" should NOT be left out because a tie is the correct
result. Tony, it has taken AP two months to start getting this straight,
so please don't confuse them (unlike real hockey fans, they ARE easily
confused.) The Hockey East shootout is for an extra point after a tie.
This game and others like it are recorded by BOTH the NCAA and Hockey
East as ties. Hockey East has an extra column in its rankings for SOW.
Personally, I think shootouts are stupid. I agree with whomever it was
who posted that it's like settling a baseball game by a homerun derby.
HE apparently thought it would be good for added fan excitement, but
at least on their revision of this system, they make it clear that
these are tie games. Please lets keep it that way.
These Maine-BU games are cardiac time. These two teams are amazing.
I just hope that BU can finally get Maine's number if they meet in
the Hockey East tournament (or maybe again in the NC$$'s??)
Dave Carroll - BU '73 - [log in to unmask]