From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1991 19:39:37 EST
I just want to make a few comments on the state of hockey at this school

As most of you know, OSU is at the bottom of the CCHA, a place they are not
unfamiliar with in the last few years.  In fact, they have finished no better
than fifth since the 83-84 season and have been 8th twice and 7th once in the
last four years.  They won the CCHA in 71-72, their first year in the league
and they get as much mileage out of that as possible, but there is just no
tradition here.

For the last 17 years, Jerry Welsh, a member of that 71-72 "championship" team
has been the coach.  He has compiled a record of 301-291-44 and is the
winningest coach in OSU hockey history. (Shows you what can happen if you hang
around long enough.)  His conference record is 192-217-32.  I guess I find it
ironic that at a school that fires a football coach (Earle Bruce) when he is
the winningest coach in the conference, a coach of a major sport can survive
with that kind of conference record.

His record isn't the main problem though.  The program is a mess.  This team
has talent on it, but it only took a few games for me to realize that they
lose because they lack the discipline on both ends of the ice to properly
compete.  That kind of discipline is the coach's responsibility.

The fascilities here are awful.  The rink is perhaps the worst rink in all of
Div I hockey.  It only has seats along one side and behind one goal.  It
resembles a public park rink and is an embarassment to the university.  There
is no fan support (How I long for Lynah Rink) to speak of either.  The only
reason I can figure for the university's acceptance of this situation is that
as long as the program is mired in mediocrity (at best) it can use funds it
might have given to hockey for the more high-profile football and basketball
teams.  Any other opinions out there?

R. David Smith
Cornell '91
OSU Med '95