From:
The Voice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Voice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 20:03:48 -0500
> Well, maybe now with the Ohio State basketball team left with a total
> of four players (the others either in jail, thrown off the team, or
> thrown out of school), the pathetic hockey program may finally get
> some attention. Mediocrity in Buckeye athletic programs is never
> tolerated, and it would be stretching things a bit to call the Bucks
> even mediocre! I never have understood why St. John's Arena could not
> undergo some type of renovation to allow an ice surface to be placed
> in there. With a brand new arena on the near horizon, maybe the Bucks
> will have a facility that instead of the laughing stock of collegiate
> (club?) hockey, will be the envy of it. If the program gets some mon-
        Um...I was in Columbus yesterday and was in St. John to write
        my wrap of the soccer tournament I was covering (I work for a
        newspaper).  I went into the arena part, and I will tell you that
        if it is renovated for hockey, a> the sightlines would suck
        big-time, as many seats would not afford a view of one of the
        goals. b> the end-zone concourses would have to be eliminated,
        which would not be good considering the fact that there are
        offices there. You still might not have enough room for a
        regulation-sized rink.  I was thinking (dreaming?) about
        a possible renovation of IU's Assembly Hall for the same
        purpose, but that would not be feasible simply due to bad
        sightlines (I know how to do it, though, but it would cost
        too much).  You are right about OSU's rink being the
        laughingstock of collegiate hockey.  It's a dump...not to
        be mean, but I about crapped my pants when I walked in, because
        I thought...I'm walking into a REAL NCAA arena...it's gotta be
        better than IU, and I found a place that is a worse place to
        watch a game than my high school's gymnasium.  The bleachers
        are all like those found at the typical HS football stadium
        and they only go around 1/2 the rink, not even going behind
        the benches.  I was embarassed that a Big Ten school could
        play a major sport in such a dump.
> etary support and some exposure in the near future, things could be
> on their way up in Columbus. I am not saying that OSU will dominate
> the CCHA and trounce those stinking Wolverines (North 'till you smell
> it, West 'till you step in it- just a joke- no flames, please!) any-
> time soon, but I look for the Buckeyes to move towards respectability
> and maybe even become a factor in the CCHA in the next few years. What
> do you all think? Go Bucks!!
        One interesting note...the first thing you see when you walk into
        OSU's sports information department has nothing to do with Steroid
        Ball and Woody Hayes...there is an OSU hockey poster.  I hate OSU,
        (it's an Indiana thing), but I wanted one.
        All for now...ramblings of a mindless individual.  Go Miami Redskins!!!

------------Go IU Hoosiers-----------------------Go Boston Bruins-------------
Andrew Smith                  Ph--812-857-1658            [log in to unmask]
For snail-mail and IHL Mailing List Info finger [log in to unmask]
It's easier to try than to prove it can't be done            --The Moody Blues