From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 14:54:14 EDT
John R. Wilson wrote:
     Personally, I think that if the NC$$ has the balls to strip UW of
     their second place finish because of the housing arrangements of 2
     players, (something that should be the responsibility of the
     student/player), then Maine should have to forfeit their first place
     finish.  It sound harsh, but the school should have known well in
     advance what the rules said.  In fact, it is my understanding that a
     compliance officer at the school is the one who made the
     interpretation of the rules.

     Hey, just my, (and J.D. I'm sure) opinion.

     jw

There is a major difference between taking away someone's second place
finish and taking away THEIR CHAMPIONSHIP.  Second place is still falling
short of the ultimate goal.  There is still the "but" to any discussion of
the team's season.  Strip them of their 2nd place and it adds another "but".
Taking away a championship, however, is adding the first "but".  Taking away
a championship is to my mind more than an order of magnitude more severe of
a penalty.

I will admit being in a potentially prejucial situation.  Maine is my second
favorite team, I'm a former Maniac, and I was hollering at the TV during that
championship game.  However, I honestly feel that if a similar situation was
found at LSSU last year, that my feeling would be the same.  Taking away BU's
second place finish last year would be nothing compared to taking away LSSU's
championship.

There may be some that argue that in theory, place finish should not matter.
IMO, however, theory falls apart when you're talking about #1.  If you take
away #1, it had better be for some clear-cut abuse rather than the ambiguity
that we've been arguing about the past week.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!        Go Leafs! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*