From:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 23:12:36 CDT
The rosters for the '94 Olympic Festival are complete and among the many fine
players are two of North Dakota's top players -- sophomore forward Landon
Wilson and junior defenseman Nick Naumenko.  The Olympic Festival will be held
in St. Louis July 1-10.

Wilson was the WCHA Rookie of the Year in 1993-94 and became the first freshman
to lead the Sioux in scoring since Troy Murray in 1980-81.  Naumenko was the
fifth-highest vote-getter among defenseman in the All-WCHA voting for 1993-94
(of course, only four defensemen make the team -- two first-team and two second
team).  But they are both excellent young players and will need to be key
factors if North Dakota is to return to the upper regions of the WCHA.

Interestingly enough, both Wilson and Naumenko have ties to the Festival site
in St. Louis.  Wilson was born there and Naumenko is a Blues draft choice.

By the way, Wilson will play for Northeastern's Ben Smith and Naumenko for
Michigan Tech's Bob Mancini.  Both coaches can do some early scouting; we open
the 1994-95 season with a two-game series at home against Northeastern (for
those of you who know him, I think I've convinced Jon Barkan to come out and
watch his alma mater that weekend here in Grand Forks).

Justin