From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 1994 16:30:21 -0500
Garrett Lanzy wrote:
>As far as travel in the U.P. is concerned, it's going to be painful for
>someone no matter how the teams are divided up.  Lake Superior State is
>located in Sault Ste. Marie, which is at the far eastern tip of the U.P.
>The distance from there to Houghton is approximately the same as the dis-
>tance to E. Lansing, home of Michigan State.

What is also true is that Big Rapids (home of Ferris State) is actually
closer to the Soo than Houghton is (while it is true that nothing is
closer to the Soo than Marquette, as far as hockey towns are concerned).
MSU does have an advantage in that we are pretty much located in the
geographic center of the CCHA, with the furthest traveling distance being
less than five hours (either to Kent, Oxford, Chicago, or the Soo).

Since I'm the one that, at least today, started all the talk about the
situation of the UP schools, I'd like to thank everyone who wrote to the
list and voiced their opinions.  Isn't this so much more fun than talking
about whether a team skated for an hour after a loss? :-)  Just imagine
the uproar I would have gotten if I would have said we should try to
recruit Wisconsin to join the CCHA!

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?

P. S.  Even though we're in the same state, our connection to the U.P. is
       somewhat shaky.  The Mackinaw Bridge (the only link between the
       two peninsulae [I took Latin as an undergrad]) was closed today
       for a short period of time due to poor visibility.