From:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 1994 16:15:57 EST
Brian's post brings up some interesting points.  However, I wanted to
correct a few errors, and give some reasoning for why things are
the way they are now (for better or worse).

Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> [...]
>If my memory serves me (and I hope I'm not suffering from Walt's malaise)
>Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan were CCHA teams in the 70's, switching
>over for some reason in 1980 or so.  I have never understood the situation
>with >the teams in the Upper Peninsula.  Common sense would dictate that Mich.
>Tech, Northern Michigan and LSSU all play in the same conference, and same
>division, since they are the only ones who can get up there in the winter!
>Adding in Minnesota Duluth, since there is a road from Duluth leading to the
>UP, also would make sense.  But there must be something else at issue here.
>What are the bonds between LSSU and the CCHA, and similarly the WCHA with
>UNM and Michigan Tech?  And why did UNM and Michigan Tech migrate over to the
>WCHA?  I think the move occurred before LSSU had a Division 1 program, so
>why did LSSU opt for the CCHA?

Actually, Michigan Tech had been a long-time member of the WCHA (I believe
from it's founding through the 1980-81 season... I'm sure about the final
year, since it was my freshman year in Houghton).  The Huskies then moved
to the CCHA for several years, rejoining the WCHA sometime in the late
80's (I am suffering from "Walt's malaise" here :-).

Northern Michigan, on the other hand, had been a CCHA member until the
point that they also joined the WCHA.  Since Houghton and Marquette
are "only" 100 miles apart, it certainly makes sense for Tech and
Northern to be in the same league.

As far as travel in the U.P. is concerned, it's going to be painful for
someone no matter how the teams are divided up.  Lake Superior State
is located in Sault St. Marie, which is at the far eastern tip of the
U.P.  The distance from there to Houghton is approximately the same
as the distance to East Lansing, home of Michigan State.  Thus, it
isn't true that LSSU "belongs" in the WCHA any more than they "belong"
in the CCHA based on geography alone.

So, there isn't any "easy" solution.  It's going to be very difficult
to come up with something that makes everyone happy.

Garrett Lanzy (MTU '84)