From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1993 13:40:20 -0500
The Great Lakes Invitational got off to a great start with UM dominating
Notre Dame 8-3. I rooted for Notre Dame but it was clear that UM was
the better team. One note: all you CCHA fans got a look at one of the
WCHA's referees, Bob Ames, who I feel is one of the worst (but not the
worst) in our league. You noticed that he called at least four phantom
fouls, his trademark. When a UM player stepped on the puck and the ND
player attempted to move it, the ND player was called by Ames for
hooking. Now, Ames was at least 100 feet from the incident while the
CCHA ref was looking at the play from about 20 feet and made no call.
I am not suggesting that Ames is unfair by showing favortism: I think he
hurt the play of both teams equally. But ref's should not be a game factor.
These are the kind of ref's hockey does not need. During the second game
featuring MSU and MTU, the ref's were much better. Probably the best ref
of the WCHA, Greg Shepperd was matched with CCHA's Piotowski (sp?).

MSU 0-1-1-1 (OT)
MTU 1-1-0-0

Unfortunately from my vantage point, MTU lost. I didn't maintain a box
score but as I recall, MTU scored first during the first period with
a long power play shot from Jeff Mikesch. Then, MTU went into a defensive
shell. From this point until the middle of the third period, at least eighty
percent of the play was in the MTU zone. MSU finally scored in the second
period to tie the game at 1-1. MTU on a rare play in the MSU zone got a pass
to Hanchuk (?) about 15 feet in front of the net who shot it through a
crowd and past MSU's goalie Buzak. The game was 2-1 until mid way into
the third period when MSU scored on a power play. THis tied the game at
2-2 and ultimately forced the game into a sudden death overtime period.
About 15 minutes in the overtime, MTU's Lebel was called for hooking when
MSU's Suk took a dive in the MTU zone. Film indicated that Suk is a
very good actor. On the ensuing face off, a very fine pass to Suk resulted
in the game winning shot from the right point.

All in all: MTU was very effective in breaking up any real threats that MSU
put on. In the first period before scoring, MTU did this between the blue
lines. However, after taking the lead, they retired to the MTU zone where
they continued to dominate MSU but taking no overt action to move the
puck into the MSU zone. I don't know if anyone has told the MTU team this
but you can't win at hockey playing only in your zone. MTU had a total
of 16 shots through the first three periods (6-4-6 by period).  When MTU
decided to play hockey in the MSU zone, they showed that they could be
effective. Buzak made several fine saves in the overtime, anyone of
which could resulted in a different outcome. MTU's Jamie Ram was in fine
form stopping over thirty shots. Jeff Mikesch had a very good game as did
his brother Pat. MTU is showing improvement but the they still need to
learn how to pass, how control the puck and how to successfully stay in
the opponent's zone. The power play is pathetic. MTU's young team is showing
signs that they may become a very good team in future years, if not during
the remainder of this season.

The stars awarded:

    3 star: Jamie Ram
    2 star: Buzak (MSU)
    1 star: Jeff Mikesch
    Superior Play of the Game: Jamie Ram

Tonight, UM faces MSU for the John MacInnes trophy. The way UM is playing,
I don't think it will be much of a game. The consolation game between
Notre Dame and MTU should be better. Sorry ND, tonight I root for MTU. :-)
MTU played ND earlier at Fairbanks where ND eked out a win. Tonight, we
plan to return the favor.

Walt Olson
Michigan Tech