From:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1993 08:01:00 EST
Thanks to Steve Manning for his on-the-scene report on the Badget
Showdown games.  I can add just a bit of detail for NMU fans thanks to
hearing most of the radio broadcast.

After Providence took a 2-0 lead in the first period, Mike Harding made
it 2-1 on a rebound shot during a scrimmage in front of the Providence
net.  Providence made it 3-1 in the second period.  Then (I think)
Harding scored again--can't recall any details--to make it 3-2.  Steve
Woog, as I recall,scored the goal to make the game a 3-3 tie.  Then
Steve Carpenter gave the 'Cats their first lead of the night with a
third period goal.  Providence tied it at 4-4 with about five minutes
left, but Kory Karlander put in the game winner a few minutes later.

Whew!  My guess is that Providence IS better than their record
indicates, and that the 'Cats' slow start (a reversion to something
which occurred often earlier in the season) reflected the two-and-a-half
week layoff they just ended.  The Wisconsin-Northern Michigan
championship game tonight should be a good one!

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  [log in to unmask]                        *
 *  CCHA League Champions, 1979-80/1980-81               ****         *
 *  CCHA Playoff Champions, 1979-80/1980-81             *    *        *
 *  WCHA League Champions, 1990-91                     *  GO  *       *
 *  WCHA Playoff Champions, 1988-89/1990-91/1991-92   *        *      *
 *  NCAA Division I National Runnerups 1979-80        * 'CATS! *      *
 *  NCAA Division I Final Four 1980-81                 *      *       *
 *  NCAA Division I National Champions, 1990-91         *    *        *
 *  NCAA Division I Final Eight 1991-92/1992-93          ****         *