From:
Mark Gibbons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Gibbons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1993 07:43:21 EST
[log in to unmask] wrote:
Give kids the best to play with and in circumstances that will prepare them
for the NHL (learning to play successfully  with people from different
backgrounds/countries).

So I am now to understand that the point of college hockey is to prepare kids
for the NHL?  That means we can expect it to become as scummy as minor league
*OH excuse me* NCAA basketball & football?

It was also stated by someone else (sorry I don't remember who) that a winning
team was the only goal.  As has been related by others the U of M decide years
ago (when it was still possible to decide winning isn't everything) to concentrate
on developing youth hockey in Mn.  Their record in the start of that was not
good(winning) for a few years now, however, they have enjoyed the rewards of
having an easy time in a rich talent pool.  Yes, they can be overbearing about
it.  I don't care where a player is from as much as the drive to recruit is
driven by the win at all cost mentality that hangs over bball & football - or
that pro sports is the only valuable goal to youth sports.  I know that there
are good youth programs in other states & they develop some fine hockey players
its too bad they can't find a way to stock all the US college teams & Canada
would develop it's college program.  NOT BECAUSE I HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST CANADA
but because I want as many Americans exposed to the game as possible.  I think
college hockey is some of the most exciting, entertaining hockey there is &
the best representation of the sport.

Case in point -- did you see the reoprt on college hockey in Alabama on NBC last
night?  They have a very active youth program(maybe UA should only recruit from
Alabama :-> )  It was reported that they used to stop the kids games to explain
what happened to the crowd, now they get yelled at if they do it.  Development
of youth hockey is the key to expanding interest in hockey.

me