From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1993 08:18:20 -0500
There have recently been a great debate about recruiting in MN. There
was even a comment from Saudi Arabia on it!

What is the purpose of college? And what part do sports play in the
purpose?

IF the purpose of college is to prepare people for jobs, is preparation
for the NHL any less noble?

IF the purpose of college is educate, is sports education less worthy?

IF the purpose of college is to create knowledge, is there not knowledge
in the sports?

IF the purpose of college is to benefit mankind in any way, does not
sport increase our quality of life?

I don't know (being a professor in engineering) what society considers
the purpose of universities but I do know that sport has long been
(from at least the Ancient Grecian times) a mark of a learned and
healthy person.

Should universities recruit from outside their traditional boundaries?
Do they recruit students for engineering, fine arts, law, medicine, etc.?
Why should there be *special* rules for sports? It is my belief that
the NC$$ is making a big mistake in the university philosophy by
imposing *special* rules on athletes while ignoring what the academics
do. If U of Minn wish to only allow students from Minn, regardless of
whether they are engaged in hockey or engineering, that is their
prerogative: it is a state tax assisted school. However, I do not
think that it benefits the school or the state to do so.

Just some thoughts.

Walt Olson