From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1993 14:27:00 -0400
Although I couldn't make the annual Hockey East media luncheon yesterday
because of a test, the Boston Globe's Joe Concannon and The Daily Free
Press's Neil Goldberg were both there...I've copied both their stories;
Concannon's is first.

Hockey East equation has X factor in Kariya     by Joe Concannon, Boston Globe

"The 10th season of Hockey East was officially launched yesterday with a
luncheon at the Boston Garden's Blades and Boards Club, and the poll of
league coaches indicated that Boston University is the team to beat, with
defending NC$$ champion Maine picked for the runner-up spot. The poll was taken
before it was learned that Hobey Baker Award winner Paul Kariya may be on
hand for as many as 16 games with the Black Bears.
The Black Bears, who went 42-1-2 last year, showed they are not about to
give up and bragging rights as they tied Team USA 3-3, Sunday night at
Alfond Arena.
The Terriers, who were NC$$ semifinalists, had goaltender Derek Herlofsky
and defensemen Kaj Linna and Rich Brennan named to the preseason all-conference
team, along with forwards Kariya and Cal Ingraham of Maine and Mike Murray of
UMass-Lowell."
"Jack Parker, whose BU team reached the Final Four for the third time in
four years, said the coaches' poll 'puts teams in groups, and I think most
of the coaches feel anybody in any specific group can move up and challenge
somebody in the next group.'
Parker evaluated the groups, beginning with Merrimack: "They're coming off
their most successful season in Hockey East [8-16, sixth] but that season
was created by 12 seniors who have already graduated. The biggest problem
they will have will be breaking those freshmen in."
The next group in Northeastern, Boston College, and Providence: "We all feel
they're the most improved clubs in the league from top to bottom. I think
NU is going to be the most improved club in the league, especially in defense.
I think Providence has probably the best recruiting class up front. BC's
biggest problem last year was in net they've solved that with two freshmen
[Greg Taylor, Greg Hampton]"
UNH and Lowell are next, and Parker gives the nod to Lowell because of
goaltender Dwayne Roloson and the return of Murray. The Wildcats have PC
transfer Mike Heinke in goal and the top four scorers returning.
BU is still picked No.1.
"We've got strength in every position," said Parker. "It's hard to pick
out who our first line is and we've got six returning defensemen coming
back and two goaltenders."

Pucksters reach peak in Hockey East preseason poll  by Neil Goldberg,Free Press

Hockey East Media Day became Boston University Day yesterday as the Terriers
were picked to win the Hockey East conference and placed three BU members
on the All-Hockey East preseason team.
The polls, voted on by the eight head coaches of Hockey East, picked BU
to finish ahead of last year's conference winner and national champion Maine.
UMass-Lowell edged New Hampshire by one point, grabbing third in the poll.
The last time the Terriers were picked to win in 1990, they eventually finished
third but won the conference tournament.
"It's nice to have everybody tell you they think you have a pretty good club,"
BU head coach Jack Parker said. "But being considered in October doesn't mean
much. Being able to prove it on the ice game in and game out is what's most
important."
The bigger surprise of Media Day came when All-Conference team was announced
and coaches selected BU junior Derek Herlofsky as a better goalie then Lowell
senior Dwayne Roloson. Roloson was thought to be a shoo-in for that position
after racking up 20 wins and playing every game last year. But league coaches
thought more of Herlofsky, who was 12-5-1 with a 2.83 GAA and split time with
two other goalies. Why?
"I have no idea," Parker said. "I have no idea," Lowell coach Bruce Crowder
added.
The apparent strenght of the Terrier defense was evident among league coaches,
who chose Kaj Linna and Rich Brennan for the Blue Line corps. Linna was second
team All-American last year, while Brennan was not far behind.
There were no surprises among coaches in the forward position. Maine's
Hobey Baker Award winner Paul Kariya, who led the nation in scoring last year
with 100 points, and Maine's Cal Ingraham, who led the nation in goals with
46, were both named. Lowell's Mike Murray, with 56 points last season, rounded
out the squad.

Sid
BU '95