Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1993 12:51:27 EDT

> However, I'm wondering - was UMass EVER scheduled to play in the RPI
> Inv?  Lowell was apparently always scheduled, and maybe the Times
> Union (which apparently published some of the info Jayson drew from)
> was confused in thinking both UMass and Lowell would appear.  Later,
> we learned that the tourney wasn't on UMass's schedule while it was
> still on Lowell's (and the HE composite), so maybe UMass never really
> planned to play in it (and thus never "withdrew").  Possibly they were
> just rumored to be taking part but it never came about.  Anyone know?

I asked my UMass connection when it was first reported that they would be
in the tournament (OK, perhaps it wasn't asking so much as ribbing him about
how badly RPI was going to beat the Minutemen).  Apparently they were consider-
ing playing but never committed.  Whoever released the original tentative
pairings jumped the gun a bit.

I think it made sense for UMass to limit their Div. I games in the coming
season.  With their late recruiting start they will have just a few
true Div. I players on their roster.  What I still don't understand is why
they are rushing to join HE in just their second season back.  No matter how
well they recruit next year they will be cannon fodder for the established
teams.  It seems to me that they would be better off building the program
at a reasonable pace with success at each level (i.e. adding tougher opponents
each year but maintaining a schedule which will yield a reasonable winning
percentage) and joining a league in the third or even fourth season.

I'm sure smarter minds than mine have thought this through, but.......

Jon
--
Jon Greene
Data General Corp., Westboro, MA