From:
Scott Bryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Bryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1993 14:49:04 EST
> >I second Mike's comment on the photos of athletes for sale.  The Cornell
> Hockey
> >Booster Association produced a set of hockey trading cards this past season,
> >with a picture of each player on the front and vital stats on the back.
> >Imagine if that were illegal according to NCAA.  These trading cards were sold
> >for $10 a pack, or $15 for an uncut sheet.  They were nicely done.  Those who
> >attended the annual booster banquet received a complimentary set of cards as
> >party favors.

Gee, I never thought about that...I don't know who made 'em, but
Michigan State Hockey was selling a set of trading cards of last
year's team, too.  I really like the idea, but judging from some of
the ludicrous tales that have been told, it shouldn't be long before
these are illegal.  Hey, they can even use the "student-athlete
forever" rule to outlaw the special collections of cards of former
athletes that MSU, U of M, and North Carolina (there are probably
more, but those are the only ones I've seen) have out -- examples are
Magic Johnson when he was here and Michael Jordan at NC, etc.  Isn't
somebody making money from the fact that these guys used to be
athletes at a university?  After that got taken care of, the NC$$
could go after Topps, Fleer, and all the other card companies for
making the "draft pick" cards where they show players in college
uniforms and who picked them, and then...Well, I'd better stop
before I get really angry.  I'm sure there MUST be something better
for the top dogs to worry about....

Scott