Date:
Fri, 28 May 1993 11:15:05 EDT

> Am I missing something here?  I was under the impression that members of
> the ECAC don't offer athletic scholarships for hockey, and that this was
> the original reason for the Hockey East split-off several years ago; they
> wanted to offer scholarships.

Some ECAC schools do indeed offer scholarships.  I believe there are 4: Colgate,Clarkson, RPI and UVM.  However, I'm not sure about Colgate since they joined
the Patriot League for other sports....and it does not permit scholarships.

Of the remainder, the Ivies do not offer scholarships.  When Union joined the
league they announced that they would not offer athletic scholarships.  Last,
but based on their record for the last 10 years definitely not least, I don't
think that SLU has scholarships.  I seem to remember a movement to implement
scholarships there about 10 years ago but it was vetoed (administration?,
faculty senate?).

The ECAC-HE split was precipitated by the Ivy League presidents wanting to form
their own hockey league.....presumeably for academic reasons (wanting schools
of similar academic caliber (whatever that means) and to change to a weekend
only schedule).  I'll bet they would have been happy with that but for the
fact that only six Ivy League schools play hockey.  To increase the league to
workable size they invited a few other schools to join.  I assume that
permitting the continuation of scholarships was a bone they threw out as an
inducement.

--
Jon Greene
Data General Corp., Westboro, MA