From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1993 00:45:39 EST
Ryan Robbins writes:
>The Ferraros and the Kariyas don't make their schools. Their schools
>make them. I bet the Ferraros and Kariya wouldn't be as good as they
>are if Walsh wasn't coaching them.

Wait a minute...they are clearly benefitting from Walsh's coaching, and
they wouldn't have gone to Maine if they didn't expect that to happen, but
they were already great players before going there.  All three had already
played for their countries in World Jr Championships and were highly regarded
by NHL scouts.  They'll all probably play in the NHL, and that likely would
happen whether they went to Maine or not.

To me, big time college athletics is a two way street...the players benefit
by getting a good education (often free) and a chance to develop, and the
schools benefit by the exposure and the money they rake in as well as the
prestige from having such a superb team.

BTW, some may remember the hoopla prior to this season about Maine landing
3 of the country's top 4 recruits in the Ferraros and Kariya...does anyone
remember who the fourth was?  Was it Ryan Sittler?
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
alternate address days: [log in to unmask]             *HMN*  11/13/93
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)