From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1993 20:27:49 EST
I concur. If I remember correctly, the money UMaine makes from athletic
events stays within the athletic department; it's not distributed to
other areas of the university system.

The Ferraros and the Kariyas don't make their schools. Their schools
make them. I bet the Ferraros and Kariya wouldn't be as good as they
are if Walsh wasn't coaching them.

Obviously I don't have any figures, but sales of souvenirs don't bring
a heck of a lot of money in. And as I said, the money doesn't go to
other areas of the university community.

Yes, the Ferraros and the Kariyas should be grateful for the opportunity
they've been given to learn for free and play a sport they love. Athlet-
ics in itself is education, and that's why athletes are excused from
exams if they're on the road. Take a look at the number of hours they
put into their sport. It's not easy.

Ryan Robbins
Penobscot Hall
University of Maine