Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1992 12:03:01 -0400
Thanks to Mike for posting the new rules.  Most, I think, are good ideas -
e.g., I like rule 4-2(e) that allows teams to skate full strength after
co-incidental minors.  On the other hand, I don't think so highly of the
corresponding rule 4-3(b) for coincidental majors.  IMHO if someone gets a
major, even coincidental, the teams should be short handed.  Not making them
shorthanded takes a little of the sting out of the penalty and, I fear, will
make major penalty taking a little more common.

As to the faceoff circle rule 6-12(a), I don't know how well that will work.
Just to be silly, what would happen if some member of a team kept touching the
circle until all members for his side had been thrown out?  Forcing a
throw-out is only going to slow things down.  If you are serious about
stopping this most common of all infractions, make it a minor penalty to touch
the circle during the faceoff.  I would not support that, BTW.

One point of emphasis I would like to see added is an additional minor penalty
for the instigator of roughing or fighting.  I know its often very hard to
tell who the instigator is, but by gollys, if someone starts the rough stuff,
his team ought to be a man down even if the other player retaliates!

Tom Rowe                              Internet: [log in to unmask]
As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand
          Josh Billings