From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1991 08:49:04 EDT
Falcon Preview

It's not often that Bowling Green State University's hockey team
enters a season looking to rebound from a sub .500 campaign.  In fact, the
Falcons have only endured four losing seasons in their storied 23-year
history.  However, BG will face such a task in 1991-92 as it looks to return
to the upper echelon of the CCHA this season.

The Brown and Orange has the man-power to make its mark in 1991-92 as it
returns 18 of 23 lettermen from last year's squad which finished 15-23-2
overall and sixth in league play with a ledger of 13-17-2.

BG welcomes back six of its top eight point producers, its top three goal
scorers, six talented defensemen, a veteran goaltender and a promising
freshmen class.

The Falcons may have showed a glimpse of the future last year when they
rolled to an 11-5-2 record, a share of first place in the CCHA in early
December and a national ranking of eighth after posting an impressive sweep of
WCHA member North Dakota.

"Our goal is to finish in the top four in the standings for home ice in the
playoffs, advance to Joe Louis Arena for our league tournament and secure a
berth in the NCAA playoffs at one of the two regions," said Jerry York, who
enters his 13th season behind the BG bench.

The backbone of any team lies between the pipes and BG hopes junior goalie
Angelo Libertucci can return to the form of his rookie campaign.  "We expect
an improved Libertucci in all areas," stated York.  We think his save pct.
will go up, his goals against average will go down and we expect his
leadership to be a vital part of our team."

Incoming freshmen Nathan Cressman (Waterloo Siskins) and walk-on Will Clarke
(Northwood Prep) should provide BG with depth and competition for
Libertucci.

The one area in which BG may have shown the greatest improvement as the
season progressed last year was in its defense.  Anchored by senior blueliner
Otis Plageman, who led BG's rearguards in goals scored a season ago with 10,
and five other backliners from last year's entourage, the Falcons should still
be strong defensively despite the loss of their leading point producer from
the blue line - junior Ken Klee.

"Otis will be our veteran on defense," York said.  "His strong leadership
skills will again play an important part in the continued development of the
underclassmen."

Klee, an honorable mention All-CCHA pick last year, most likely will be
sidelined for the entire 1991-92 campaign after sustaining an injury while
touring with the U.S. Olympic team in late August.  If his rehabilitation
effort from reconstructive surgery proves successful, Klee could possibly
rejoin the team in March.

Sophomores Glen Mears, Todd Reirden, Aris Brimanis and Jeff Wells, who York
feels was BG's most improved player in any area, were all thrown into the fire
last season especially down the stretch when Klee and Plageman went down with
injuries, but gained a great deal of playing experience which should benefit
the team tremendously this year.

"Our young people will come in almost like veteran players and will be much
more of a contributing factor to our success this season," York explained.
"They were pressed into situations where normally we have more experienced
players.  As a result, we feel they have made great strides."

The addition of promising freshmen Brandon Carper and Greg de Vries of the
Stratford Cullitons will allow senior Llew Ncwana to move up to his familiar
wing position where he started his freshman and sophomore years.  Junior Paul
Basic, who saw limited ice time a year ago, will also vie for playing time on
defense.

The Falcons will pack several snipers in their offensive arsenal this year.
Junior center Brett Harkins, senior center Martin Jiranek and senior right
wing Peter Holmes give BG three potent weapons up front.  Harkins was the
Brown and Orange's leading point producer last season with 60 on 22 goals and
38 assists, while Jiranek collected a team-high 31 markers (54 points) in
1990-91 including seven game-winning tallies.  Holmes, who will serve as
co-captain along with Plageman, finished second on the team in points and
goals scored last year with 55 and 26, respectively.

All three, in addition to Klee on defense, are legitimate All-America and
Hobey Baker Award candidates.

Seniors Dan Bylsma, Jim Solly and Ty Eigner are also back as are junior Rick
Mullins and sophomores Sean Pronger, Rick Lacroix and Keith Redmond.

Freshman center Brian Holzinger, a product of the Detroit Junior Red Wings,
is a highly touted rookie.  His 86 points (45-41) was second in the North
American Junior Hockey League.  Walk-ons Tom Glantz, who comes to BG via
Detroit Compuware of NAJHL, and Andy McMillen of DeSmet Jesuit High School,
enter camp looking for a regular forward shift.

"I think our forwards are going to win hockey games for us this year with
their ability to score goals and their ability to make some imaginative,
creative plays," York stated.

"We will look for real contributions from Harkins, Jiranek and Holmes.  I
think our other forwards are capable of having solid years too.

"We think we can improve on our special teams because our players who all
played in those situations last year will be back with more of an
understanding of how to cope with that type of situation.  And some of our
freshmen can help us out in that area.  For sure, special team play has to be
better for us," said York.

York feels Michigan will likely be a heavy favorite to win the 1991-92
league championship based on their performance last year and who they have
returning this season.

"Our league is extremely well balanced, but I would expect Lake Superior,
Michigan State and ourselves to be battling for the remaining top four spots,"
commented York.
--
Keith instone @ (euclid bullwinkle andy) .bgsu.edu