From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1991 11:11:08 EDT
Regarding the Irish joining the CCHA:

I also heard of this news on TV, in the paper, and by calling some friends.
I must say that Coach was right in saying that we heard it here first: we even
 knew before some of the "VIPs" of college hockey.

Anyway, as much as everyone wants Notre Dame in the league, they are not
 officially in YET. The announcement REALLY was that Notre Dame has applied for
 membership into the CCHA (but I understand Coach's enthusiasm). There must
 still be a vote by the Athletic Directors, along with some paperwork. There are
  a lot of unanswered questions:

1) Will the Irish have to pay 100 grand, just like Kent did, to join the league?
 Or will the NDU name be worth something? Will Lou Holtz write a personal check
 to cover it? (^;

2) When will the ADs vote? It was originally scheduled for the annual meeting in
 January (in California this year). They may have a special vote just
for NDU's membership application.

3) Will Kent get to vote? NDU needs a 3/4 YES to get in, so 7 of 9 ADs are
 needed for approval. With Kent, that becomes 8 of 10. In either case, 3 ADs
need to say NO to keep the Irish out.

4) Will the vote be unanimous? Yes, NDU is a lock, IMHO.

5) What will the schedule look like for 92-3? With 11 teams, each team will play
 the others thrice (I like using that word). That means 30 league games and four
 non-conference. But what is the format of a 3-game series? And how about those
 poor teams that have to travel to Lake Superior FOR JUST 1 GAME? Will the
 playoff format change? (I hope not.)

6) And the burning question around here: Just WHEN will Notre Dame return to the
 BGSU Ice Arena? Can't wait.....

Keith