From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1992 08:32:09 EDT

> ECAC Pre-season Coaches Poll results
>
>                      Points
>     1. Clarkson       141     (10 firsts)
>     2. Harvard        126     ( 2 firsts)
>     3. RPI            116
>     4. St. Lawrence   101
>     5. Yale            92
>     6. Brown           78
>     7. Vermont         73
>     8. Colgate         68
>     9. Cornell         62
>    10. Princeton       42
>    11. Dartmouth       23
>    12. Union           14

Well, I am not surprised that the coaches picked Cornell to finish so far down
considering that they lost most of their offense from a dismal offensive squad
of '91-92 and that they lost their star goalie.  Also, they will be relying on
the services and talents of a crop of freshmen whose talent is not considered
to be among the top recruiting prosepcts in the country.  One of the better
ones is already lost for the year due to injury.  However, my freshman year
(McCutcheon's first year), the situation was somewhat similar.  A lot of losses
from a team that had done poorly the previous year and a whole bunch of frosh
coming in, but those frosh prouced D'Alessio, Crozier, Frauley, Vanini, Andion,
Derraugh, and the like and the team finished 19-9, 3rd in the ECAC and losing
that stupid mini-game to Clarkson in the ECAC quarters.

I think the coaches poll had picked them to finish out of the top 8 that year
as well.  Can they exceed expectations again this time?  I really don't know,
but I do know that they have had a tendency to react oppositely to expectations
in the past, so who knows?  We can always hope I guess. :-)

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95