From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1992 17:16:59 CST
> Joe Blake, the play-by-play announcer on our radio feed of the
> NMU-Wisconsin games, cited an interesting statistic.  Counting
> both games this weekend, in the last 33 games Wisconsin has played
> that were refereed by Greg Shepard, their record is 32-1.

> That's mighty coincidental.  I know Wisconsin's good, but I don't
> think they're THAT good.

> Then again maybe Joe's wrong.  He's the one who said that
> everybody in Alaska hated Rick Comley.

I don't have the exact numbers, but yes, Wisconsin does have a very
good record when Shepard is the ref. Of course, you have to look at
their overall record and who their opponents were during those games
too. In fact, it would be interesting (from a curiosity point of view)
to look at their record with various refs (Sorry, I don't have the
answers). I'm quite sure that there is nothing underhanded about it,
just one of those odd things... (but I'm a Badger fan...)

Greg Shepard is Jeff Sauer's favorite WCHA referee, but several other
coaches like him too. The stated reasons are that he calls a looser
game, and is easy to communicate with (both players and coaches have
said this).  The other choice top among coaches is Buzzy....

	--david

--------
david parter				university of wisconsin -- madison
[log in to unmask]			      computer sciences department