From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 90 15:54:56 CST
Erik Biever writes:
>         ...                              I believe that all of other schools
> in the WCHA have traditional collegiate fight songs that are played when their
> teams skate onto the ice.

[note: too bad they are called "fight" songs... but they are (by many,
but not everyone, and this not meant as a criticism of Erik)... and this
observation has little to do with college hockey so I won't go on with it...]

The UW Varsity Band (as much of the marching band as will fit, but
sitting down), has always been a big part of Wisconsin hockey.  Some of
Wisconsin's hockey songs:

Song			When				origin
====			====				======
"On Wisconsin"		As the team enters the rink	traditional school
			and after a Wisconsin goal	["fight"] song

"Varsity"		2nd Intermission		Wisconsin alma mater*

"Hot Town Tonight" 	Before (used to be
			before-and-during) period-opening
			face-offs

"If You Want 		filling time during delays,	traditional non-fight
To Be A Badger"		while an injured player is 	school song
			being attended to.

"You've Said It All"	2nd Intermission, facing the 	"recent" tradition
a.k.a. "The Bud Song"	student section** and when the	(see footnote)
			team needs a *BIG* boost (during
			the time-out before pulling the
			goalie, before overtime, etc).

"Space Badgers"		occasionally, during an intermission.
			This is the theme from 2001 crossed with
			On Wisconsin. Major part played by fans
			clapping specific rhythms.

In addition to these, there are many more songs that the band and
the fans love to play... Also, the band specializes in
"interesting" cheers...

Notes:
* al.ma ma.ter 1. The school, college or university one has attended.
  2.  The anthem of a school, college or university. [L, "cherishing or
  fostering mother."]

** This came about when the student section (which sits behind the
   band) asked for a polka. The only polka the band knew at the time
   was "You've Said It All," which they turned and played. Of course,
   the last line is "when you say WIS-CON-SIN, you've said it all!"
   [One of the local beer distributors is even called "WIS-CON-SIN
   Distributors" Yes, they supply Bud... ].  This was (I think) during
   the 1972-73 season (during which Wisconsin won its first NCAA
   Tournament).  The students polkaed (how *do* you spell that?), and
   an instant classic was born. Since then, it has been used at all
   Badger sporting events, but hockey is where it was born.

	--david

--------
David Parter					[log in to unmask]
University of Wisconsin -- Madison		Computer Sciences Department