Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1991 09:18:31 PST
Is it possible that this is the man you referred to - One USA representative
linesman at the olympics is going to be a guy named John Malinowski.  They said
this on that Canada/USA game and frankly i was a little surprised.  He was a
rookie ref last year at some ECAC games, and he seemed nefarious for letting
fights get out of hand, then dealing out about 150 penalty minutes between the
two teams in the final minute of three games- RPI vs. St. Lawrence, Clarkson,
and Brown.

I believe the worst of which came at the RPI-Brown game last spring.  RPI was
leading 3-2 and Brown pulled their goalie to skate 6 on 5 for the last minute.
There was a fight between 2 guys which was allowed to escalate into a situation
where everyone except the goalie got 10 minute penalties and various other
sundry minor calls, the sum of which left Brown shorthanded, by virtue of
having 6 men in the fight to RPI's 5.

In each case, if Malinowski had broken up the fight sooner, the situations
would not have been as bad.  He seemed to need more experience and a lot more
control of the game.  That's why I wondered what the olympic selection process
was.

Ross RPI `91