From:
CSL Dave Suess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 91 13:46:09 -0800
Subject: Re: rivalries
--------
Erik J. Biever writes:
>The Minnesota-North Dakota rivalry does not seem to be quite as intense and
>angry as the rivalry between the Sioux and the Badgers.  You may recall that
>in 1987, when North Dakota played Michigan State for the NCAA Championship
>at "The Joe," the Minnesota band joined forces with North Dakota's band
>in a show of WCHA solidarity, to cheer the Sioux on to victory.  I doubt
>we would see a similar occurrence if the two schools involved were Minnesota
>and Wisconsin, or North Dakota and Wisconsin.

	I believe your doubt may be unfounded.  Back when we could see
	the NCAAs on TV, a few of us displaced UND alumni would get
	together to watch, and believe me, we *always* rooted for the
	WCHA against "those Eastern teams."  Including Big Red. After
	all, we consider the WCHA to be the cream of college hockey!
	(As no doubt do "those Eastern teams," about themselves.)
				Dave Suess	[log in to unmask]